#European Union Users
Description of Processing Activity
Breakup.ie collects and stores personal information about its users to customize their reading experience and enable personalized distribution of content. It shares minimal data with its service providers.
#Purposes of Processing
- Provide, test, promote, and improve the Services
- Gather usage statistics of services
- Provide customized reading experience
- Publish and distribute user-generated content
- Provide access to paid content
- Pay authors in Partnership Program for certain content
- Fight spam, fraud, and other abuse of services
In order to provide the Services, Breakup.ie collects and stores personal data about its users to fulfill its contractual obligations to users as described in our Terms of Service and to Members as described in our Breakup.ie Terms of Service.
Breakup.ie also pursues its legitimate interests by collecting minimal data of logged out users to provide the Services, as outlined above, as well as to ensure that new users trying out the free member preview do not exceed their maximum limit of free articles per month before a paid subscription is required to read further. These legitimate interests are not outweighed by (nor do they violate) our users’ privacy interests because we collect minimal user data for these purposes and we are fully transparent about these activities.
Where Breakup.ie collects and stores personal data about non-users mentioned in user-generated content, it does so under performance of contract obligations to users who use the Services to publish content on web sites hosted by Breakup.ie. In such cases, users authoring such user-generated content containing personal data of third parties are responsible for that content. Breakup.ie will consider related complaints in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation’s rights of the data subject, as well as rights of expression and access to information.
#Public Nature of Personal Data
Logged-in users may choose to interact publicly with the Services in the form of clapping for a post, highlighting parts of a post, following other user accounts, sharing links on connected social media accounts, or writing original posts. Where such personal data may reveal special category protected data, it is processed on the basis that it is manifestly made public by the user. Additional information on the potential consequences of such processing can be found below. If you do not agree to this public usage, do not create an account or use these features of the Services.
Search engines may index your Breakup.ie user profile page, public interactions (such as claps or highlights), and post pages. Users may also share links to your content on social media platforms such as Facebook or Twitter.
#Categories of Personal Data Collected
Logged out users:
- Reading history
- IP address
- Browser information
- DNT status
Logged in users:
- Display name
- Avatar image
- Email address (non-public)
- Session activity (security)
- Linked social media accounts (optional)
- IP address
- Browser information
- Reading history (on Breakup.ie Services only)
- Meta-data about URLs saved by using the optional feature Save to Breakup.ie
- Network interactions (recommends, follows, etc.)
- Posts, responses, or series published by user
#Categories of Recipients
Breakup.ie shares minimal personal data with third-party processors in order to provide the Services. These processors offer at least the same level of data protection as that set out in this statement. This includes the following categories of recipients:
- Hosting, Storage, & Other Infrastructure
- Communication & Support
- Payment Processors
#Use of Algorithms to Personalize User Experience
Breakup.ie collects and stores personal data about its users to customize their reading experience by displaying content tailored to the preferences and interests indicated by the users (including through their reading history and Services interactions). This does not constitute automated decision-making as that phrase is used in the GDPR because it does not produce any legal effects or similarly significant effects for users. Breakup.ie also moderates content for the purposes of fighting and preventing spam, fraud, and other forms of abuse, and may rely on algorithms as part of doing so.
#Potential Consequences of Processing
By creating and using an account on MBreakup.ie, users may make certain personal data about themselves public and accessible to others on their profile and through network interactions. This may in some cases constitute special category protected data which is considered manifestly made public by the user.
Due to the public nature of information posted to Breakup.ie, it may be possible for third parties to derive identifying personal data from posts, whether by reading, inference, supplemental research, or automated extraction and analysis.
Users are free to use their real name and information, or a pseudonym of their choosing, for their account. Users may also choose to use the service without posting data or engaging in network interactions. However, if you do not agree with and accept the risks of such usage, you may not use the Services.
Breakup.ie retains personal data associated with your account for the lifetime of your account. If you would like to delete your personal information, you can delete your account at any time. Deleted account profile pages will yield an error 404 “file not found” page, immediately upon initiating deletion, and will become unrecoverable in our system after a period of fourteen days. It may take several additional days for your personal data to be de-indexed from search engines, depending on those search engines’ practices, over which Breakup.ie may have limited or no control.
To delete your payment or billing information, you will need to do so with your payment provider, as Breakup.ie only has minimal secure access to those records as needed to provide the Services.
#Rights of Data Subjects
1) If you sign up for a Breakup.ie account, you may at any time request an export of your personal information from the Settings page.
2) You may correct information associated with your account from the Settings page.
3) You may withdraw consent by deleting your account at any time through the Settings page, which will erase your personal information completely within 14 days (except to the extent Breakup.ie is prevented by law from deleting your information).
4) You may object at any time to the use of your personal data by contacting us. If your complaint relates to alleged misuse of your personal data by a third party, it may result in suspension of that post or account in keeping with the Irish law, public interest, our contractual obligations, and the rights of expression and access to information of others.
5) Under EU law you have the right to lodge a complaint regarding the processing of your personal data by Breakup.ie with the dedicated Supervisory Authority of your EU member state.
#Subject Access Requests
For security and account ownership verification reasons, we process Subject Access Requests and account deletion requests from the account holder only. We are unable to process requests made by third-party services.