Breakup.ie exists to share ideas and perspectives from writers, thinkers, and storytellers.
We welcome thoughtful and civil discussion from a broad spectrum of viewpoints. Nevertheless, to maintain a safe and welcoming environment for a wide range of people to engage in meaningful conversations, we prohibit certain conduct.
Each participant in our community is responsible for maintaining these standards.
In deciding whether someone has violated the rules, we will take into account things like newsworthiness, the context and nature of the posted information, the likelihood and severity of actual or potential harms, and applicable laws.
Violations of our rules may result in consequences such as account restrictions, limited distribution of your posts, and suspension of your account. We may limit the distribution of controversial or extreme content.
#THREATS OF VIOLENCE
Breakup.ie does not allow content or actions that threaten, encourage, or incite violence against anyone, directly or indirectly.
We do not allow content that promotes violence or hatred against people based on characteristics like race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, disability, disease, age, sexual orientation, gender, or gender identity.
We do not allow posts or accounts that glorify, celebrate, downplay, or trivialize violence, suffering, abuse, or deaths of individuals or groups. This includes the use of scientific or pseudoscientific claims to pathologize, dehumanize, or disempower others. We do not allow calls for intolerance, exclusion, or segregation based on protected characteristics, nor do we allow the glorification of groups which do any of the above.
We do not allow hateful text, images, symbols, or other content in your username, profile, or bio.
Breakup.ie exists to share and discuss ideas. We don’t tolerate harassment, which includes:
- Bullying, threatening, or shaming someone, or posting things likely to encourage others to do so
- Using Breakup.ie features like responses, private notes, mentions, follows, story requests, or writer requests in a way intended to annoy or harass someone
- Reviewing businesses or products in a gratuitously harmful or abusive manner
#PRIVACY & REPUTATION
We do not allow the following:
- Posting copies of private communications between private individuals without the explicit consent of all parties to the communication
- Doxing, which includes not only private or obscure personal information but also the aggregation of publicly available information to target, shame, blackmail, harass, intimidate, threaten, or endanger
- Posting intimate or explicit images taken or posted without the subject’s express consent
- Content that violates others’ privacy, including sensitive or confidential information such as credit card numbers, social security numbers, non-public phone numbers, physical addresses, email addresses, or other non-public information
We do not allow posts or accounts that engage in the following restricted categories of activity:
- Promotion of harmful conspiracies
- Facilitation of gambling or betting
- Facilitation of buying or selling social media interactions, including off-platform
- Facilitation of illegal sexual services
- Facilitation of copyright violation
We do not allow posts or accounts that engage in on-platform, off-platform, or cross-platform campaigns of targeting, harassment, hate speech, violence, or disinformation. We may consider off-platform actions in assessing a Medium account, and restrict access or availability to that account.
We do not allow spam on Breakup.ie. All spam will be immediately removed from Breakup.ie, without notification. While it is hard to define this content with precision or completeness, here are some representative behaviors we look for that are characteristic of spam:
- Posting content primarily to drive traffic to, or increase the search rankings of, an external site, product, or service
- Scraping and reposting content from other sources for the primary purpose of generating revenue or other personal gains
- Posting duplicate content, whether from a single account or across multiple accounts
- Stories where the content is clipped with the sole purpose of linking to the rest of the article on a different website
- Performing a disproportionately large number of interactions, particularly by automated means. This includes bulk, indiscriminate interactions, such as following of other accounts (follow spam) clapping, highlighting, or leaving notes
- Repeatedly using responses or other interactions as a method of promotion
- Participating in bounty campaigns or brigades to artificially inflate rankings for posts, accounts, businesses, or products
- Use or re-use content templates with slight modifications across multiple posts and accounts
For each of these behaviors, when we talk about “content,” we mean not only posts but also any other feature that allows you to add your own text or media. When we talk about “interactions,” we mean any feature that allows one user to interact with another, or with a post.
#PAID AUTOMATIC BULK OR UNAUTHENTIC INTERACTIONS
Breakup.ie depends on various user behaviors like follows and reactions to determine what content to feature and make the site work well for everyone. So, we don’t allow artificial behaviors that skew this system and as a result degrade or distort other users’ experiences. This includes:
- Buying, selling, or trading in accounts or account interactions including follows, reactions, highlights, responses or other traffic
- Using services, apps, or arrangements that offer you more follows, reactions, or other interactions on your Breakup.ie account or content
- Registering accounts, posting content, or interacting with users or content automatically, systematically, or programmatically
#COPYRIGHTS & TRADEMARKS INFRINGEMENTS
Respect the copyrights and trademarks of others. Unless you’re authorized to use someone else’s copyrighted work or trademark (either expressly or by legal exceptions and limitations like fair use), don’t do it. We respond to notices of alleged infringement as described in our Terms of Service, Copyright and DMCA Policy, and Trademark Policy.
We do not allow deceptive conduct on Breakup.ie. This includes:
- Posting content or impersonating a person or organization in a way likely to deceive people. Parody and satire are fine, but make clear that is what you’re doing. Our Username Policy has specific requirements for parody accounts
- Using Breakup.ie for phishing or fraud. Don’t use tags, links, titles, or other metadata in a misleading way. Don’t link to or embed malicious or harmful code or software in your posts
- Don’t use deception to generate revenue or traffic
- If you have received compensation, free goods/services or anything of value in connection with the topic of a post, you must make this clear
#ADS PROMOTIONS & MARKETING
- Third-party advertising and sponsorships are not allowed. You may not advertise or promote third-party products, services, or brands through Breakup.ie posts, publications, or letters. This includes images that indicate brand sponsorship in a post or letter, or as part of a publication name or logo.
- Images functioning as third-party ads are not allowed. Inline images or embeds that link out and function as banner ads for third-party brands are not allowed.
- You must disclose affiliate links or payment for a post. Affiliate links, such as link out to Amazon with your code, or any other link out where you will receive a commission or other value, are allowed in posts. But, you must disclose somewhere in the post that it includes affiliate links. If you have received payment, goods or services, or something else of value in exchange for writing a post, you must still disclose this fact in writing within your post.
- Multi-level marketing content is not allowed.
In ongoing compliance with the GDPR, we restrict behavior of certain embedded content:
- Embeds that directly collect data through form fields are not allowed. This includes embeds that facilitate the submission of email addresses and other personally identifying information through forms and the submission of credit card information. If you want to collect information from your readers, you will need to link out from your post on Breakup.ie to a form hosted elsewhere that makes it clear to a user that they are no longer in the Breakup.ie network.
#CRYPTO-CURRENCY ACCOUNTS, POSTS AND PUBLICATIONS
Posts and accounts that focus on cryptocurrencies which do not meet the following requirements may be considered spam and are subject to suspension, depending on context. Breakup.ie does not endorse or verify any coin, token, or similar announcement.
To prevent fraud and abuse, you must:
- Include a link to your active project domain in your user account bio.
- Use an email address from that domain as your verified Breakup.ie account email, and maintain that email account actively.
- Link at least one consistently-branded social media account (Facebook or Twitter) to your Breakup.ie account. That social account should also link out prominently to the same domain as is included in your Breakup.ie user bio.
- Include a prominent about page with up-to-date contact information on your project website.
#You may not:
- Use an anonymous email address which is not linked to your project domain. (e.g., gmail, protonmail, mail.ru, etc.)
- Advertise, pump and dumps, reviewing for reward, or other forms of brigading or inauthentic activity.
- Include shortened URLs in your posts.
We do not allow pornographic images or videos. We do allow erotic writing and non-graphic erotic images.
We do not allow gratuitously graphic or disturbing media, even if it’s not pornographic.
#EXPLOITATION OF MINORS
We do not allow content promoting the sexual or violent exploitation of minors, including the sexualization of fictional minors.
#PROMOTING AND GLORIFYING SELF HARM
We do not allow activities that encourage, promote or glorify acts of self-harm, such as cutting, eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia, and suicide. If you encounter users contemplating or threatening self-harm, please report it to us via the form or email address linked below.
#HOW TO REPORT A VIOLATION?
If you find a post or account on Medium that violates these rules, please Contact Us to provide more detail or to report other conduct you believe violates our rules.
#WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU BREAK THE RULES?
We strive to be fair, but we reserve the right to suspend accounts or remove content, without notice, for any reason, particularly to protect our services, infrastructure, users, or community. If you attempt to evade suspension by creating new accounts or posts, we will suspend your new accounts and posts.
#OUR NOTICE TO YOU
Upon investigating or disabling content associated with your account, we will notify you, unless we believe your account is automated or operating in bad faith, or that notifying you is likely to cause, maintain or exacerbate harm to someone.
#YOUR RIGHT TO APPEAL
If you believe your content or account has been restricted or disabled in error, or believe there is relevant context we were not aware of in reaching our determination, you can Contact Us. We will consider all good faith efforts to appeal.
#LEGAL TAKE DOWN REQUESTS
If Breakup.ie receives a legal request to restrict access to content associated with your account, we will notify you unless we are prohibited by law or believe doing so may endanger others. Where applicable, we will work to limit legally-ordered content restrictions to jurisdictions where we have a good faith belief that we are legally required to restrict the content.
PLEASE NOTE: We may enforce, or not enforce, these policies at our sole discretion. These policies don’t create a duty or contractual obligation for us to act.
We also may change these rules at any time.
Breakup.ie is committed to providing a transparent, open platform for expression.
#How to report a Member post violation?
If you find a member post or account on Breakup.ie that violates these rules, please let us know by contacting us.
If you have questions or feedback about these rules please get in touch.